If you love a big fresh bagel with cream cheese and lox, this smoked salmon sandwich (which is really more of a “toast”) recipe allows you to create a similar tasting breakfast (or lunch) at home.
Sprouted grain bread is about as healthy as bread gets (sorry, delicious bagels), and creamy cottage cheese is a protein-rich, nutrient-dense alternative to cream cheese. Smoked salmon is good for you in almost every scenario, thanks to its heart-healthy omega-3s.
You’ll also feel satisfied and energized after eating it, instead of bloated and sleepy.
Another excellent use for this dish: cut the toast into smaller pieces and serve it as an appetizer at a brunch or lunch party.
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 slice sprouted grain bread (toasted)
- 3 ounces smoked salmon (sliced)
- 1 lemon wedges
- 1 teaspoon capers (drained)
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- Spread the cottage cheese on the toast and top with the salmon.
- Squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Garnish with capers and dill